- 2-1/2 to 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, gluten, dry milk, yeast and salt in a large mixer bowl. Heat water, honey and oil to very warm (120 to 130°F). Add egg and water mixture to large bowl. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in enough remaining flour by hand to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover and let dough rest 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Using a sharp knife, cut lengthwise into 16 strips. If shorter bread sticks are desired, cut each strip in half. Twist and place on greased baking pans. Note: strips can also be left flat or formed into bows, numbers, letters, knots or other decorative shapes. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Combine egg white and 1 tablespoon water. Brush over bread sticks. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, garlic salt or coarse salt, if desired. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from baking sheets immediately. Serve warm.