- 1 package of frozen puff pastry (2 rolls), thawed
- Flour for dusting
- 2 tbsp of melted butter
- 5 medium sized red skinned apples, such as Honeycrisp or Gala, cleaned
- Juice of half a lemon
- 5 cups of water
- 3 tbsp of caster sugar
- 2 tbsp of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp of light corn syrup
- 2 drops of red food colouring
- icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin with melted butter and set aside.
- Remove puff pastry from the refrigerator to bring to room temperature (approximately 10 minutes).
- Halve apples from the stem to the bottom and remove the core. Lay flat side down and cut thin slices with a knife or a mandolin. Repeat for remaining apples and place in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Add lemon juice and water to the sliced apples.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir apple slices and microwave for another 30 seconds to 1 minute or until the water is lukewarm.
- Set aside for 8-10 minutes to allow the slices to soften.
- Once softened, drain and lay out the slices on a paper towel to dry.
- In a small bowl mix together sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Unroll the first package of pastry dough onto a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough until it is approximately 13” wide by 11” tall. Using a ruler and pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut down to a 12”x10” rectangle. Mark off six 2” sections along the 12” edge. Cut your strips to end up with six 2”x10” strips.
- Take your first strip and place it in front of you with the 12” length running horizontal.
- Starting on the left, lay your first apple slice with the flat bottom approx. 1’’ from the top of the pastry. Note, the curved top of the apple slice should be sitting above the top edge of the pastry. Overlap the next slice approx. ⅓ rd over the first slice and repeat this process until you reach the end of the dough. Sprinkle your sugar cinnamon mixture over the apple slices. Fold the bottom edge of the pastry up towards the slices to evenly sandwich the apple slices between the dough. Starting at the left side begin to gently coil in the dough and continue along the full length. You should be left with a rose shaped pastry. Place the rosette into the muffin tin.
- Continue with remaining strips.
- Repeat the whole process with the second roll of pastry dough.
- Once all 12 rosettes are placed in the muffin tin.
- Heat the corn syrup in the microwave for 20 seconds. Add the red food colouring and stir to combine. Lightly brush the mixture onto the top of the rosettes.
- Loosely cover with tin foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool and dust with powdered sugar before serving.