- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 100% bran cereal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1 egg
- Mix 1/2 cup flour, cereal, sugar, salt, baking soda and undissolved yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine applesauce, milk, water and butter; heat to very warm (120°F to 130°F). Butter does not need to melt. Add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour. Beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough additional flour to make a very stiff batter.
- Turn into a greased and floured 1-1/2-quart casserole. Cover; let rise in warm, draft free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375°F 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Remove from casserole dish and cool on wire rack.