- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice (or white vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Canola Oil
- 1- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Icing sugar for dusting
- ½ cup strawberry jam (or jam of your choice)
- 2 cups of softened vanilla ice cream (or ice cream of your choice)
- Electric mixer with whisk attachment
- Jelly roll pan
- Off-set spatula
- Have your ingredients ready at room temperature (except ice cream). Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a jelly roll pan or 10 x 15 baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly spray the pan and the paper with No-Stick Cooking Spray.
- Using a clean, grease-free metal bowl and beater, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, add in the lemon juice and gradually add in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Set aside.
- In another bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in the egg yolks, water, canola oil and vanilla, beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Gently fold in ½ of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk batter, then fold in the remaining egg whites. Pour mixture into prepared pan using an offset spatula. Ensure the batter is evenly spread right to the corners. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cake bounces back when touched and toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven, allow to cool only a couple minutes before inverting onto a sheet of parchment paper dusted with icing sugar. Remove base piece of parchment paper. Carefully roll the warm cake up from the short end, using the paper underneath, roll it into the cake and allow to cool completely in this rolled state.
- Once the cake has cooled, remove ice cream from freezer, using small scoops, place in a bowl and allow to soften by gently stirring to loosen it up. Gently unroll the cake and spread with the jam. Working quickly, scoop the ice cream onto the jam layer, using a spatula spread out the ice cream to within ½ from the edges. Re-roll the cake up, place seam side down and wrap tightly in plastic wrap, place in freezer for at least 2 hours or longer until solid. Serve dusted with icing sugar and your favourite fruit.
- Can be stored longer in freezer, best to use an airtight freezer bag or container for storage.