- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons very warm water (120º to 130ºF)
- 1/3 cup crumbled, cooked bacon
- 1/3 cup drained, chopped, sundried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon melted butter OR margarine, optional
Suggested Sandwich Filling
- Mayonnaise, or your favorite sandwich spread
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked crisp and drained on absorbant toweling
- Chilled lettuce leaves
- Fresh tomato slices
- Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, basil and salt in a large mixer bowl. Add water; mix on medium speed of mixer for 1 minute. Add in bacon, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic; mix to combine. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 6 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Form dough into a smooth loaf and place in pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place 30 to 40 minutes, or until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until done. Brush top with melted butter, if desired. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on cooling rack.
- For BLT Filling: Spread sliced bread with mayonnaise or sandwich spread. Layer bacon, lettuce and tomatoes as desired. Note: 1 pound of bacon is enough for 4 to 5 sandwiches.