- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Traditional Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 7 to 8 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 to 8 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- Heat water and milk until warm (100° to 110°F). Add yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Allow to rest until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Combine 2 cups of flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar and salt in a large mixer bowl. Add butter, eggs and yeast mixture and beat 2 minutes. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 8 to 10 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Shape dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl, turning once to cover. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Remove dough to a lightly floured surface. Roll dough out into a flat and thin shape. Spread cheese and bacon onto dough. Fold in sides of dough and begin to knead until the cheese and bacon are evenly distributed. (Let rest if necessary to relax gluten.) Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Form into 9-inch round loaves. Place on greased baking sheet, cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.