- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon white ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup beer
- 3 tablespoons (divided) Fleischmann's® Corn Starch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Colby OR Co-Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, white and cayenne pepper; cook until onions are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Combine chicken broth, beer and 2 tablespoons corn starch. Mix until corn starch is dissolved. Add corn starch mixture to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add cream.
- Toss cheese with 1 tablespoon corn starch. Gradually add cheese to soup, stirring until melted before adding more cheese. Add hot sauce, if desired.
- Serve immediately. Delicious served with Peppered Parmesan Shortbread.