For the scones
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 bags Twinings® Green Tea with Pomegranate, Raspberry and Strawberry
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- cup ¼ sugar
- ¾ cup blueberries, washed
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk (or mix 3 tablespoons of milk with ½ teaspoon of vinegar, let sit 5 minutes)
Lemon Poppy Seed Icing
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2-3 teaspoons water
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut open tea bags and add loose tea to dry mix.
- Cut in butter with a fork until you have a breadcrumb consistency. You can also use a food processor, adding all dry ingredients in first, then the butter, pulse until mixture comes together into a breadcrumb-like texture. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in sugar, mix well. Gently fold in blueberries, being careful not to squish them.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg, stir in buttermilk. Add to flour mixture and gently mix just until moistened.
- Pour out batter onto the parchment paper sprinkled with flour. Using floured hands, gently shape the batter into an 8 circle, leveling the top as you go. Score the batter into 8 segments. Bake for 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack while you make the icing.
- Mix the lemon juice into the icing sugar, add just enough water to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over scone, then sprinkle with poppy seeds. Slice and serve, best enjoyed warm!