- 4 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 (4 ½ tsp.) envelopes of Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 2 tsp. of sugar
- 1¼ cups of warm milk (100°-110°F)
- ¼ cup of oil
- 1 tsp. of salt
- Red food colouring
- 2 tbsps. of Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1 cup of warm water (100°-110°F)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of oil
- ½ tsp. of salt
- 1 ½ cups of rice flour
- Black food colouring
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk and let stand for 3-5 minutes until completely dissolved and frothy.
- Stir in red food colouring, flour, oil and salt. Make sure you add enough food colouring so the dough is very red.
- Knead until smooth.
- Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into 12-14 even pieces.
- Shape each piece into a tight ball and place the balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Leave space around each ball to expand.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until almost doubled in size. About 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Mix the black food colouring in with the water. Combine the yeast, sugar, oil, salt and rice flour in a medium sized bowl.
- Add your blackened water and mix thoroughly. Make sure you added enough food colouring so the topping is very black.
- Topping should be thick and sticky but still have enough give to slowly drape over your buns.
- Let rest until the buns have doubled.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Using a spoon or your hands, scoop out a handful of brimstone topping and evenly spread over the buns. Make sure the topping isn’t too thin, otherwise it won’t crack.
- Once all the buns are covered, let stand for 15 minutes so the topping can adhere to the buns. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!