- ½ cup Crown Lily White corn syrup
- Water-soluble gel food colouring, to preference
- Silicone Baking Mat
- Flat baking, or cookie, sheet
- Offset palette knife, or spatula
- Preheat your oven to 300°F
- Before starting this recipe, make sure you have organised all the necessary ingredients
- Slide your Silpat baking mat onto your baking sheet
- Drop some dollops of corn syrup on to the Silpat baking mat and using a small palette knife, or spatula, thinly spread the syrup into several round shapes on the mat, making sure there is enough space, so they don't touch
- You can stop here if you wish to create non-coloured decorations (skip to Step 7)
- Add a couple of drops, or streaks, of liquid colouring (in any colour of your choice) on to the corn syrup discs using a skewer, or cocktail stick.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 300°F, on the middle rack, for 20 minutes. You should see bubbles forming while cooking.
- When cooked, remove from the oven, and let cool before use. (A sign that the syrup has cooked fully is when bubbles stop forming and you can see no more movement from the syrup)
- Let the syrup shapes cool fully on the mat before attempting to remove.
To use: Gently peel the decorations from the Silpat baking mat and place on your desserts/ bakes
To store: These bubble sugar decorations will keep well in an airtight container for up to a week. They keep best in a low-humidity environment so if you have some food-safe silica packs, pop some in for added longevity.