- 6 tablespoons butter OR margarine, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon OR orange peel (optional)
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- For Crust: Beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl at medium speed of mixer until creamy. Add flour and salt; mix on low speed until blended. Spread dough evenly into bottom of a greased 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until crust is golden.
- For Filling: Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl at medium speed. Beat in butter, corn syrup, flour, buttermilk, vanilla and lemon peel if desired, until mixture is smooth. Pour filling over baked crust.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until edges just begin to brown and filling is set. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into bars.