- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup Fleischmann's® Corn Starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk OR sour milk*
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Whisk sugar, buttermilk, eggs, egg whites, corn syrup, butter, oil, vanilla and almond extract, if desired, in a large bowl. Gradually stir in flour mixture until smooth. Pour batter into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake 25 to 29 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Frost cooled cake with Fluffy Cocoa Frosting or Fluffy Frosting.
NOTE: To make Buttermilk Birthday Cupcakes, follow recipe as directed, after mixing batter, divide batter evenly into 24 greased or paper-lined (2-1/2 inch) muffin cups. Bake 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean.
*TIP: To make sour milk, combine 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice (or vinegar) with enough low fat milk to measure 1-1/3 cups. Let stand 5 minutes.