- 6 red apples
- 6 wooden skewers
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- Few drops cinnamon OR peppermint oil
- Wash and dry apples; remove stems. Insert skewers in stem end of apples. Place parchment paper or foil on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, water and red food coloring in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Continue cooking while stirring to 300˚F (hard crack stage). Remove from heat; add flavoring oil and stir only enough to mix.
- Hold each apple by skewer end and dip in syrup. Remove quickly and twirl around so syrup spreads smoothly over apple (you'll need to tilt the pan to coat the apples).
- Place on prepared pan; let cool completely.
- Recipe Note: Cinnamon or peppermint oils (not extracts) can be found at some craft stores or on-line. Extracts are not recommended for this recipe.