- 8 to 10 medium thick-skinned oranges, washed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- Additional sugar for coating
- Melted semisweet chocolate (optional)
- Cut oranges just through peel into quarters; remove peel and place in large saucepan. (Reserve oranges for eating or for use in salads.) Cover orange peel with cold water; add salt.
- Bring to boil; boil 10 minutes. Drain.
- Boil 10 minutes and drain 2 more times, omitting salt.
- Gently scrape off moist white membrane with spoon. (Peel should be about 1/4-inch thick.) Cut peel into 1/4-inch wide strips.
- In 3-quart saucepan combine 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Add orange peel. Bring to boil; reduceheat and boil gently 45 minutes. Drain well.
- A few pieces at a time, roll orange peel in additional sugar. Arrange in single layer on trays. Let dry in warmplace, lightly covered with wax paper, 10 to 12 hours.
- Store in covered container.
- If desired, dip ends in melted chocolate. Place on waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Chill 15 minutes or until set.