- 3 cups of whole milk
- 2 tsp of corn starch
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 2 tbsp of dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 tsp of chai spice
- ½ cup of good quality dark or milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tsp of corn syrup
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Mini Gingerbread Houses (see recipe)
- Whipped Cream
- Cocoa Powder
- Mini Marshmallows
- In a medium saucepan, whisk whole milk and cornstarch until smooth. On medium low heat, add in heavy cream, cocoa powder and chai spice. Whisk to combine. Keep whisking and allow the milk to simmer for 3-4 minutes, do not allow the mixture to boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate until fully melted. Stir in vanilla extract, corn syrup and salt.
- Divide the hot chocolate amongst 4 mugs and top with whipped cream, cocoa powder, mini marshmallows and gingerbread houses.
Recipe Tip: Play around with different toppings like star anise, cinnamon and shaved chocolate.