- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°F)
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Traditional Yeast
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Fleischmann's® Corn Starch
Cream Cheese Filling
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Toasted, sliced almonds
- Combine water and yeast in large mixing bowl. Add 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, butter and eggs. Beat on low speed with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Continue adding flour, 1 cup at a time until soft dough forms.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic (about 4 to 6 minutes). Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place about 1 hour, until doubled.
- Combine cherry pie filling, sugar and corn starch in medium-sized saucepan over medium heat while dough is rising. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Let boil 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool. Combine all ingredients for cream cheese filling with an electric mixer; set aside.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll one portion of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 15 x 9-inch rectangle. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Spread cream cheese filling lengthwise down the center third of the dough. Top with half the cherry filling. On each long side, cut 1-inch strips 3 inches into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips on an angle across the filling. Seal ends. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Cover with foil if top of coffee cake is getting too brown. Cool for 15 minutes; remove from baking pan. If desired, combine icing ingredients and drizzle over coffee cakes. Sprinkle with almonds if desired.