- 1 cup butter OR margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl mixer at medium speed, until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and egg yolks. Stir in flour and salt until blended.
- Cover; chill 1 hour, if necessary, until dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly beat egg whites in a small bowl. Roll dough into 1-inch balls; dip in egg whites and roll in walnuts. Place 2-inches apart on greased cookie sheets. With thumb make indentation in center of each cookie.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Fill indentations with cherry pie filling.
Variation: Instead of pie filling, a candied cherry half can be pressed into the center of each cookie before baking.