- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter OR margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet OR milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Crown® Lily White® or Golden Corn Syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts OR pecans (optional)
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- For Crust: Mix flour, butter, sugar and salt in large bowl with mixer at medium speed until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; press firmly into prepared pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle chocolatechips over hot crust; let stand 5 minutes or until shiny andsoft. Spread chocolate evenly; set aside.
- For Caramel: Cook butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a heavy 2-quart saucepan to boiling, stirring frequently. Boil for 4 minutes without stirring. Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Pour caramel over chocolate-covered crust; spread evenly. Sprinkle with walnuts. Place chocolate chips and shortening in a small microwaveable bowl and microwave on HIGH (100%) for 30 seconds or until melted. Drizzle melted chocolate over bars.
- Chill 1 hour to set; let stand at room temperature until softened. Cut into 2 x 1-inch bars. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature.