- 1/4 cup warm water (120° to 130°F)
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 3/4 cup warm milk (120° to 130°F)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter OR margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- Corn oil (for frying)
- Chocolate Glaze OR Vanilla Glaze (recipes follow)
- (for frying) Mazola® Corn Oil
- Place water in large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved. Add milk, sugar, butter, salt, and 1-1/2 cups flour; blend well. Stir in eggs and enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Remove dough to floured surface; roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into shapes using a 2-1/2-inch doughnut cutter. Reroll extra pieces of dough; cut into shapes. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Bake or deep fry doughnuts according to following instructions.
- To bake doughnuts: Bake in preheated 375oF oven for 7 to 10 minutes.
- To deep fry doughnuts: Pour oil into large, heavy saucepan to 1-inch depth. Heat to 375oF. Place 2 or 3 doughnuts in oil. (Handle dough as little as possible to prevent falling.) Cook about 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
- After baking or frying, let doughnuts cool, then spread with Chocolate Glaze. Or dip warm doughnuts into Vanilla Glaze. Drain on rack set over wax paper.
- Chocolate Glaze: Sift together 2 cups powdered sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder in a small bowl; stir in 3 tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired spreading consistency.
- Vanilla Glaze: Follow directions for Chocolate Glaze, but omit cocoa from ingredients.