- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, reserve egg white for Egg Glaze
- 2 tablespoons Fleischmann's® Corn Starch
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Fruit jelly OR preserves, any flavor
- Coarse sugar
Almond Drizzle, optional
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons half & half OR milk
- Combine 1-1/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, undissolved yeast, salt, and lemon peel iin a large mixer bowl. Heat milk, water, and 1/4 cup butter until very warm (120° to 130°F). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg, egg yolk, and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in corn starch and remaining 2-1/4 cups flour to make a soft dough. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours. Spread 1-1/2 cups butter on waxed paper to 12 x 10-inch rectangle. Chill 1 hour.
- Roll chilled dough to 16 x 12-inch rectangle on a lightly greased surface. Place chilled butter at the center of dough. Fold ends over center. Give dough a quarter turn; roll to 16 x 12-inch rectangle and fold as above. Turn, roll, and fold once more. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; chill 1 hour. Repeat procedure of two rollings, foldings, turnings and chilling twice more. Refrigerate overnight.
- Divide dough in half; returning half to refrigerator. Shape gently but quickly into spiral rolls or jelly triangles as described below. Place on greased baking sheets. Chill 1 hour.
- Whisk egg white and water together in a small bowl. Brush over rolls; sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake at 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from sheets; cool on wire rack. If desired, combine Almond Drizzle ingredients and mix until smooth. Drizzle over rolls.
- Spiral Rolls: Roll half of dough to 12 x 6-inch rectangle on a lightly greased surface. Cut into 12 (6 x 1-inch) strips; twist each strip 3 times. Coil; tuck end under coil. Make deep indentation in the center of rolls; fill with 1/2 teaspoon jelly.
- Jelly Triangles: Roll half of dough to 12 x 9-inch rectangle; cut into 3-inch squares. Put 1/2 teaspoon jelly in the center of each square. Fold to form triangles; pinch ends to seal.