- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1 egg
Date N' Nut Filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- Combine 3/4-cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt in a large bowl. Heat water and butter until very warm, 120° to 130°F. Gradually add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, pecans and cinnamon; set aside.
- Roll dough to 12-inch square. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle evenly with dates and 1 cup sugar mixture. Roll up tightly as for jellyroll; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 1-inch slices. Roll each slice to 6-inch circle using remaining surgar mixture in place of flour on surface. Turn each slice during rolling to coat top and bottom. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375°F for 10 to 15 minutes or until done. Coll on baking sheets 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.