- 1 cup Crown® Lily White® or Golden Corn Syrup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Fleischmann's® Corn Starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg room temperature
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 3-3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans OR a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- For CAKE: Combine corn syrup, milk and vanilla in a small bowl; set aside.
- Mix shortening and butter in a large mixer bowl just until combined. Sift flour, sugar, corn starch, baking soda and salt over shortening. Add eggs and half the milk mixture. Mix on low speed of electric mixer to combine. Increase speed to medium and beat 1 minute. Add melted chocolate until blended, then remaining milk mixture; beat 1-1/2 minutes. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan(s).
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- For CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING: Beat butter, cocoa, vanilla and salt in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and milk until fluffy, adding additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, as needed, to reach desired spreading consistency. Variation: For Mocha Buttercream Frosting, substitute 2 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water for 1 tablespoon milk. Add additional milk as needed to reach spreading consistency.