- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup very warm milk (120° to 130°F)
- 1/2 cup very warm water (120° to 130°F)
- 1/3 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- Optional: poppy seed
- Optional: black sesame seed
To Make The Dough
- Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add warm milk, warm water and butter; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1 egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
If instead using Active Dry Yeast:
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water (100°F to 110°F) in a large mixing bowl. Stir in 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand 10 minutes. Add remaining sugar, warm milk (100°F to 110°F), butter, 1 egg, 2 cups flour and salt. Mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
To Shape and Bake Rolls (using EITHER type of yeast):
- Grease top; cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 to 24 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator. Punch dough down. Remove dough to lightly floured surface. Shape as desired. Place rolls, about 2 inches apart, on greased baking sheets (or in other pans as directed). Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 20 to 40 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush on rolls. If desired, sprinkle with poppy or sesame seed. Bake at 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from sheets or pans; let cool on wire racks.
- Divide dough into 18 equal pieces. Roll each piece into ball. Place 9 balls in each of 2 greased 8-inch round baking pans.
- Divide dough into 18 equal pieces. Roll each piece into ball. Place balls in 18 greased 2 1/2-inch muffin pan cups. Let rise as directed. Just before baking: With Scissors, snip each roll in half, then in quarters, cutting to bottom but not through roll.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half to 16-inch circle. With sharp knife, cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up tightly from wide end. Place rolls, with points down, on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents.
- Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece to 9-inch rope. Tie loose knot in center of each rope.
- Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece to 9-inch rope. Coil each rope and tuck end under coil.
- Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece to 12-inch ropes. Fold each rope in half and twist three to four times. Pinch ends to seal.
- Divide dough into 18 equal pieces. Divide each again into 3 equal pieces. Place 3 pieces of dough in each of 18 greased 2 1/2-inch muffin cups.