- 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°F)
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Traditional Yeast
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons wheat gluten
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, finely ground in food processor
- 1/4 cup whole flax seed
- Combine yeast and warm water in large mixer bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Heat milk, butter, oil and honey until warm (100° to 110°F). Add milk mixture, salt, egg, wheat gluten and 1 cup flour to large mixer bowl with yeast; beat with electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup flour and bulgur; beat on medium-high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in oats, flax seed and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, until smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; shape into ovals or balls. Place on greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes. Make slits in top with a sharp knife. Brush rolls with 1 tablespoon melted butter, if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until rolls are golden. Cool on wire rack.