- 1 cup water
- 1 carton (5 to 6 ounces) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup quick OR old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1/3 cup unprocessed bran
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- Wheat germ or oats, for topping
- Heat water, yogurt and butter to boiling. Stir in oats, wheat germ and bran. Set aside until cooled to very warm (120o to 130oF), about 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt. Stir in cooled bran mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1 egg and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly greased surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half; roll each to 12 x 7-inch rectangle. Beginning from short ends, roll up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place, seam sides down, in 2 greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pans. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- With sharp knife, make 3 diagonal slashes, 1/4-inch deep, on each loaf. Beat remaining egg. Brush loaves with beaten egg; sprinkle with wheat germ or oats. Bake at 375oF for 40 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; cool on wire rack.