- 3/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°F)
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Traditional Yeast
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided use
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups fresh sliced strawberries OR other berries
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Place warm water in large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar; stir until yeast is dissolved. Add 1 cup flour; stir until smooth. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and remaining sugar until light. Gradually add eggs, vanilla and salt, beating until well blended. Gradually add to yeast mixture with remaining flour, mixing well. Pour into 2 greased 8-inch round cake pans. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool 5 minutes in pan; invert onto wire rack to cool. To serve, cut cake into wedges; top with strawberries and whipped cream.