- 1 quart fresh strawberries, stemmed
- 1/4 cup Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place strawberries, corn syrup and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine milk, cream, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until milk is steaming. Beat egg yolks until creamy. Add about 1 cup of the hot mixture to the egg yolks and mix well. Add back to pan. Stirring frequently, cook until custard coats the back of a spoon or temperature is about 180°F. Do NOT boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Stir in pureed strawberries.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Whisk the chilled custard and pour into ice cream maker or gelato machine. Make according to manufacturer's suggestions. The gelato is ready when it is the consistency of soft serve ice cream or about 15 minutes. Serve immediately or pour into container and freeze until ready to serve.