- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Traditional Yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (100º to 110ºF)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- 1 cup flaked coconut, lightly toasted
- Stir the yeast into warm water in a large mixing bowl and let stand 5 minutes. Heat milk and butter until warm (100° to 110°F) and add to bowl. Add 1 cup flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes with electric mixer until very smooth. Add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 8 to 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let rise about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until dough has doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Spread with softened butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over butter. Roll up from long sides like a jelly roll. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Arrange rolls, cut sides up in a greased 13 x 9-inch pan or two 8-inch round pans.
- Cover pan loosely with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk, approximately 1 hour.
- While rolls are rising, prepare frosting. Combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks and butter in a large saucepan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Add nuts and coconut. Refrigerate until ready to frost rolls.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks for 20 minutes.
- Spread prepared icing over the rolls and serve immediately.