- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup coarse sugar
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Beehive® OR Crown® Golden Syrup
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup coarse sugar
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat 1 cup sugar and butter in a large bowl with mixer at medium high speed until well mixed. Beat in egg and corn syrup until smooth. Stir in flour mixture. Refrigerate dough 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar in a small dish. Shape dough into 3/4 to 1-inch balls; roll in sugar. Place balls 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 9 to 11 minutes or just until golden around edges. Cool on baking sheet 1 minute; remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
TIP: To speed chilling, place dough in freezer for 15 to 30 minutes instead of refrigerating.