- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 3 eggs
- 3-1/3 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped, toasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped, toasted slivered almonds, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Beat butter or margarine with the sugar and molasses in a large bowl until well blended. Add the eggs.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, spices and 1 cup almonds in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat thoroughly.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a log about 13 inches long. Flatten slightly to 1-inch thick and about 2-inches wide. Place rolls 4 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup almonds, if desired.
- Bake loaves for 15 to 20 minutes, until browned and puffed. Cool 15 minutes.
- Cut rolls crosswise, 1/2-inch thick, using a sharp or serrated knife. Place slices, cut side down, on baking sheet.
- Continue baking until toasted a slightly darker color, and firm and dry to the touch, about 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.