- 1-1/2 cups crushed shortbread cookies
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 2 pints (about 2 pounds) strawberries, hulled
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Fleischmann's® Corn Starch
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped topping (optional)
- To Make COOKIE CRUST: Mix all crust ingedients. Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 350°F for 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To Make FILLING: Mash (or puree) enough strawberries to equal 1 cup; add water. Combine sugar and corn starch in small saucepan. Stir in mashed strawberries.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a full boil (15 to 20 minutes). Boil 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in almond extract and salt. Cool 10 minutes.
- Fill cooled crust with remaining whole strawberries; pour cooked strawberry mixture over berries. Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Garnish with whipped topping, if desired.
Recipe Note: A baked 9-inch pie crust may be substituted for the cookie crust.