- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 can (8 ounces) juice-packed pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted, divided*
- 3/4 cup coconut, toasted divided*
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Combine flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large mixer bowl. Heat milk and butter until very warm (120 to 130°F). Add to flour mixture with vanilla and egg; beat for 30 seconds with electric mixer to combine. Increase speed to high and beat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in pineapple, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts and 1/4 cup coconut. Spread batter in greased 8 x 8-inch pan. Cover and let rise about 30 minutes or until nearly doubled.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until done. Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes; top with about half of the Rum Sauce. Use remaining Rum Sauce to ladle over individual servings.
- To make Rum Sauce, melt butter and sugar in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir constantly until mixture comes to boil. Gradually add cream; reduce heat to low and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in reserved macadamia nuts, coconut and rum extract. Cool until ready to pour over Hawaiian Coffee Cake.
*Recipe Note: to toast macadamia nuts, spread in shallow pan and bake at 350°F for 6 to 8 minutes until lightly browned. Repeat with coconut, baking for 4 to 5 minutes.