- 1/4 cup dried cranberries OR raisins
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped prunes
- 1 tablespoon whole flax seed
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1/4 cup crunchy wheat and barley cereal nuggets
- 1 tablespoon wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter OR margarine, cut-up
- 1/4 cup whole white sesame seed
- 1/4 cup toasted, chopped pecans
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
Apricot Cream Cheese
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- Combine raisins, apricots, prunes and flax seed in a small bowl. Add enough hot water to cover fruit and set aside.
- Combine 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, undissolved yeast, cereal, wheat gluten, brown sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat water and butter to very warm (120° to 130°F). Pour into flour mixture; beat for 30 seconds with electric mixer to combine. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup whole wheat flour and sesame seeds.
- Drain fruit mixture; add to dough with pecans. Mix until well blended, adding enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Let dough rest for 10 minutes in the bowl.
- Form dough into a ball with floured hands. Place on a greased baking sheet. Press into 6 to 7-inch circle (or 8 x 5-inch oval, if desired). Cover; let rise for 30 to 40 minutes, or until almost doubled. Carefully cut slits in the top with a sharp knife, if desired. Combine egg white and 1 tablespoon water; brush over dough.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes until browned. (Cover top with foil if bread is getting too dark). Remove to cooling rack. If desired, serve toasted with Apricot Cream Cheese.
- To make Apricot Cream Cheese, combine all ingredients in medium bowl with electric mixer. Chill until ready to serve.
Hearty Fruit & Whole Grain Individual Loaves - Makes 12 individual size loaves you can eat now or freeze for later. Great for breakfast or snacks on the go!
- After 10 minute rest, divide dough into 12 equal portions. (TIP: Pat dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface and use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to portion dough evenly.) Shape into rectangles (about 3 x 1-1/2-inches) and place on lightly greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise 25 to 35 minutes. Brush with egg white and water mixture.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.