- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 strips packaged cooked bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red OR yellow bell pepper
- 1/3 cup Beehive® OR Crown® Golden Syrup
- 2 tablespoons light OR dark brown sugar
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, lightly drained
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat butter and bacon in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn syrup and brown sugar and cook 1 minute. Stir in beans and mustard; bring to boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Pour into lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish. Bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Southwestern Sweet Black Beans: Stir in 3 tablespoons chopped green chilies and 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro along with beans. Omit mustard. Bake as directed.