- 4 eggs, separated plus one extra egg white
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Vegetable Oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (to make combine 1/3 cup milk with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon Fleischmann's® Corn Starch
- 1 teaspoon Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- for frying Mazola® Vegetable Oil
- Whisk egg yolks with oil, buttermilk and vanilla for 1 minute, set aside. In a separate bowl, sift cake flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt together, gradually add to egg yolk mixture to make batter, just until combined.
- Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, in a grease-free, deep bowl, whip egg whites with cream of tartar and sugar on high speed, beat until stiff peaks form about 6 minutes.
- Preheat frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Fold half of the egg whites in the batter mixture, mixing gently with a spatula to retain the air in the egg whites. Fold the remaining egg whites into the batter, mix gently.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to frying the pan. Using a large ice cream scoop, place heaping scoops, about 4 round of batter onto preheated pan, leaving 2 between each pancake to leave room for expansion and to flip the pancakes. Add another half scoop on top to build more height. Add a teaspoon of water to the pan and cover with a tall lid to trap steam. Allow to cook for 4 minutes before checking the bottoms for browning, lower temperature if too dark, continue to cook until deep golden brown and sides feel set and not sticky, about 4 to 6 minutes, be patient, dont flip too soon or you might break your pancakes. Once ready, carefully flip and cook for approximately 4 minutes more, depending on the thickness of your pancakes. Test sides of pancakes for doneness if they are firm.
- Top with your favourite pancake toppings!