- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (prepared instant mashed potatoes may be used)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Fleischmann's® Corn Starch
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 beaten egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 4 tablespoons butter OR margarine, softened, divided
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel
- For Rolls: Combine 2 cups flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large mixer bowl. Combine water, shortening and mashed potatoes and heat until very warm (120° to 130°F). Add to flour mixture; add eggs. Beat on low speed for 3 minutes until smooth. Gradually add more flour until dough is sticky. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth, 8 to 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover. Refrigerate 2 to 24 hours.
- For Lemon Filling: Combine sugar and corn starch in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Beat egg yolks in a small bowl. Gradually stir half the lemon mixture into the eggs; return the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; allow to boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Cover surface of the lemon filling with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 1 hour; filling will keep for up to a week.
- To Assemble Rolls: Gently press chilled dough down; divide in half. Roll one half into a 12 x 9-inch rectangle. Spread with 2 tablespoons butter and half the lemon filling. Roll jelly-roll style and slice into 1-inch pieces. Place in a greased 13 x 9-inch pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Bake at 400°F for 15 to 18 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan. Cool an additional 20 minutes. Frost with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter and lemon juice in a mixing bowl until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add powdered sugar gradually until frosting is light and fluffy. Stir in lemon peel. Refrigerate icing if not using immediately.