- 2 cups (about 6-1/2 ounces) whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons Fleischmann's® Corn Starch
- 1-3/4 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black fine grind pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-3/4 cups (7 ounces) shredded sharp 2% milk cheddar cheese
- 3 cups frozen broccoli flowerettes, thawed
- 1 cup topping, your choice: corn flakes, garlic croutons, crushed saltines OR cheese crackers
- optional paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water; set aside. Combine corn starch and milk in a medium saucepan. Add dissolved bouillon cubes, onion, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil; boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in cheeses until melted. Add cooked pasta and broccoli. Stir until blended. Pour mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole dish; top with desired topping. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
TIP: Broccoli can be quickly thawed by adding to hot pasta water immediately before straining macaroni.