- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°F)
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Traditional Yeast
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ plus 2 teaspoons for garnish
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water for glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 to 3 teaspoons hot water
- Combine 1/4 cup water, yeast and 1 teaspoon maple syrup in large mixer bowl. Let stand 5 minutes, until foamy. Heat 1 cup water, 1/4 cup maple syrup, cottage cheese and butter until warm (100° to 110°F) and add to the yeast mixture. Add salt, 1/2 cup oats, 2 tablespoons wheat germ and whole wheat flour; beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Stir in dates and walnuts. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 6 to 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a well greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 16-inches long. Line up the 3 rolls next to each other on a greased baking sheet. Braid, tucking the ends under. Cover and let rise in a warm draft-free area for 30 to 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Beat egg and water. Brush lightly on braid. Sprinkle with remaining oats and wheat germ.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 45 minutes, until golden. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- To prepare Maple Icing, combine powdered sugar, maple syrup and enough water for desired consistency. Drizzle over bread.