- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 1-3/4 cups very warm water (120° to 130°F)
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Optional, 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- Combine sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add melted butter, eggs, and warm water. Gradually add 3 to 4 cups of flour and mix until dough is smooth. Slowly add the remainder of the flour (the dough hooks attachments on an electric stand mixer can be used).
- Turn dough out on floured surface and knead by hand until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 8 minutes. (Additional flour may be added if necessary).
- Place dough in large, well oiled bowl, turning once to cover all sides with oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough has doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Mix filling ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Punch down dough and gently knead to remove air bubbles; cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts.
- Working with one part at a time, divide it into 3 equal portions. Roll each portion with a rolling pin into oblong rectangles measuring 16 by 2-1/2 inches. Spread each rectangle with a scant 2 tablespoons of the poppy seed filling (. Roll up lengthwise and seal edges, forming a long thick rope. Place the 3 ropes on a greased cookie sheet or jelly roll pan side by side. Begin braiding from the middle to one end. Repeat on opposite end.
- Repeat braiding process with the remaining parts. Cover loaves with a towel and let rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Mix egg and 2 tablespoons milk in a small bowl to make the glaze. Apply with a pastry brush to the top and sides of the loaves. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350° F for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown. Cover with foil during last 15 to 20 minutes of baking if needed to prevent overbrowning.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.