- 1-1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 envelopes Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash ground allspice
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup Beehive® OR Crown® Golden Syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Sliced OR slivered almonds
- Combine bread flour, brown sugar, undissolved yeast, salt and allspice in a large mixer bowl. Heat water, corn syrup and butter until very warm (120° to 130°F). Add liquids to flour mixture and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer. Stir in enough whole wheat flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Cut dough into 16 equal pieces. Form each piece into a smooth oval and place on large greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Press 3 mini chocolate chips into one end of each oval to make eyes and nose. Using scissors make 5 to 9 snips (about 1/4 inch deep) on each oval. Place an almond slice in each.
- Place rolls in oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- To make muffin pan rolls: Cut dough into 12 to 16 equal pieces depending on desired size of rolls. Place balls in greased muffin cups of standard (2-1/2 inch) muffin pans. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place rolls in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush baked rolls with melted butter, if desired. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- TIP: Use these rolls to make tasty mini sandwiches or serve as hearty dinner rolls.