- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 quarts water
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, combine 1- 1 / 2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120° to 130°F). Gradually add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece to 12-inch rope. To make pretzels, curve ends of each rope to make circle; cross ends at top. Twist ends once and lay down over bottom of circle. Cover; let rest in warm, draft-free place for 5 to 10 minutes, until risen slightly.
- Boiling Solution: In large pot, bring 3 quarts of water and 3/4 cup baking soda to boil; reduce heat to simmer. Place 4 to 5 pretzels in water; cook 15- 20 seconds, turning once to cook both sides.* Remove; drain on wire rack. Repeat with remaining pretzels. Place pretzels on greased baking sheet. Brush with Egg Glaze; sprinkle with salt. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool on wire rack.