- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter OR margarine
- 2 eggs
Sugar Nut Topping
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt in a large mixer bowl. Heat water, milk and butter until very warm (120°to 130°F). Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
- Turn into 2 greased 8 or 9-inch square pans. Sprinkle evenly with Sugar-Nut Topping (see directions below). Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Best when served warm.
- Sugar-Nut Topping: Combine butter and brown sugar with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chopped walnuts.
*1 recipe also makes enough batter for 24 muffins OR 1 coffee cake plus 12 muffins.