- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups very warm water (120° to 130°F)
- 3 tablespoons butter OR margarine, softened
- Yellow cornmeal
- Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt in a large mixer bowl. Gradually add water and butter to the flour mixture.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in the remaining flour to make a thick batter.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Heat a lightly greased griddle or skillet to medium (350oF). Coat 3-1/2-inch round cookie cutters with cooking spray and place on skillet.
- Spoon 1/3 cup batter into cookie cutters; spread batter to fill cutter. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Cook muffins for 5 minutes. Carefully remove cookie cutters with tongs. Using pancake spatula, turn over muffins and cook for 5 minutes longer, or until lightly browned. (To speed cooking, cover with foil or the skillet lid.) Cool on wire racks.
- To serve, split muffins in half and toast.
Recipe Tip #1: To cook several muffins at a time, use multiple cookie cutters, or 8-ounce cans such as crushed pineapple emptied and opened at both ends, or canning jar rings.
Recipe Tip #2: English muffins can also be baked. To bake, place cookie cutters or round molds on greased baking sheet and spoon in batter as directed above. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.