- 2 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) packet Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk (whole, 2%, 1% OR skim)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 24 pretzel sticks
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Combine 3/4 cup flour, sugar, dry yeast and salt in a large mixer bowl and stir until blended. Combine milk, water and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot to the touch (120° to 130°F. Butter wont melt completely). Add to flour mixture.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1/4 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in just enough remaining flour so that the dough will form into a ball.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic and springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover with a towel; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Divide each piece into 1 small, 1 medium and 1 large piece. Roll into smooth balls. Arrange balls on greased baking sheets, with edges touching to make snowmen. Allow 2 inches between snowmen on baking sheets. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Brush snowman with egg wash. Insert peppercorns in the head to make eyes, then in the body to make buttons if desired.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Insert 2 pretzel sticks into each snowman for arms. Pipe a smile using sour cream. Serve in a hot bowl of soup.