- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- About 20-24 lollipops, or other hard candy, various colours
Eggless Royal Icing
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 tablespoon Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cookie sheets
- 2 sizes of star shaped cookie cutters
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In another large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, mix until combined. Gradually add the flour mix in a little at a time, mix until dough is formed. Shape into disc and cover in plastic wrap and chill for minimum 30 minutes.
- Using your rolling pin, gently crush the lollipops while still in their package. Discard sticks and save crushed candy in package until ready to use.
- Roll cookie dough out onto a lightly floured surface a ¼ thick. Using the large star shape cookie cutter, cut as many stars as you can fit and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Using your smaller star shaped cutter, cut out the center of each star. Re-roll the remaining dough and repeat the process until all the dough is used up. Using the crushed lollipops, carefully open the package just enough to pour out the candy into each of the centers of the cookies. No need to fill them up, half full is enough as the candy will melt and fill the space, too much candy and it will bubble over in baking and overflow onto your cookies.
- Chill the raw cookies on the baking sheet(s) in fridge for 10-15 minutes before baking. This helps the cookies retain a nice crisp shape during baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake cookies one tray at a time for 12 minutes or until just golden at edges. Let cool for a few minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, add icing sugar to a mixing bowl. Gradually add half of the water, mix well, add the corn syrup and vanilla extract, mixing well. If the icing is too thick, add a bit more water, one teaspoon at a time. Adjust consistency of icing with more water if too thick or more icing sugar if too runny. Fill a piping bag or small plastic bag with icing and cut a tiny whole out of the corner to use like a piping bag, time to have fun decorating your cookies!