- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 (20 mL) teaspoons Fleischmann's® Corn Starch
- 1/2 (2 mL) teaspoon Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon zest
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
Egg-Free Royal Icing
- 3 cups (750 mL) icing sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) warm water, divided
- 2 (30 mL) tablespoons Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) almond or vanilla extract
- 4 drops each pink and red food colouring gel
- Assorted sprinkles, dragées and/or sanding sugar
- Cookie Dough: Preheat oven to 325°F (170?C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Sift together flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg, lemon zest and vanilla. Mix in flour mixture in 2 additions. Divide dough into 2 portions and shape into disks; wrap each disk in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 days.
- On lightly floured work surface, roll out dough into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness. Using 3-inch (8 cm) heart cutter, cut out 24 hearts, rerolling scraps once. Place on prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Refrigerate cookies for 10 minutes.
- Bake one sheet at a time in center of oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are lightly golden and tops are set. Let cool completely on rack.
- Egg-Free Royal Icing: Place icing sugar in large mixing bowl. On low speed, gradually beat in 2 tbsp. (30 mL) water until blended. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until smooth (if icing is too thick, add enough of the remaining water, 1 tsp/5 mL at a time).
- Divide icing evenly among 3 bowls. Add pink food colouring to one bowl and red food colouring to another bowl. Leave the third bowl as is.
- Add pink, red and white icing to piping bag fitted with small round tip. Pipe edges of cookies with desired icing colour; fill center of cookies with desired icing colour. Decorate with assorted sprinkles, dragées and/or sanding sugar.
Tip: Alternatively, instead of icing cookies, simply sprinkle with sugar before baking.