- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon raw turbinado sugar
- Combine 2 cups flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, salt and ginger in large mixer bowl. Heat milk, water and butter to very warm (120° to 130°F). Add egg, lemon peel, vanilla and milk mixture to bowl. Beat on low speed of mixer for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Continue adding flour, 1 cup at a time, until soft dough forms.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While dough is resting, combine egg white, water and lemon extract in a small bowl.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions, shaping each into a 20-inch rope. Pinch ends together at one end to seal. Braid ropes on a lightly floured surface; pinch ends to seal. Carefully transfer braid to a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise about 30 minutes or until double in size. Brush with egg white mixture and sprinkle with raw turbinado sugar.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Lightly cover with foil if top of bread is getting too brown. Cool on wire rack.