- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup bran cereal shreds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons butter OR margarine
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Traditional Yeast
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Combine 1 cup water and milk; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in cereal, sugar, salt, butter, and molasses; cool to lukewarm (100°F).
- Combine 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°F) and yeast in a mixing bowl; stir until dissolved. Add lukewarm bran mixture and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to make soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top of dough.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch down, turn dough out onto lightly floured board; divide it in half; shape each half into a loaf. Place each in a greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Bake at 400°F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until done.