- 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°F)
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Traditional Yeast
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup warm milk (100° to 110°F)
- 3 tablespoons butter OR margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Place warm water in large mixer bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved and let rest 5 minutes. Add whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, milk, butter and eggs; beat 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Remove dough to lightly floured surface; divide into 12 equal pieces. Form each piece into smooth ball. Place on 2 large greased baking sheets. Flatten balls to 3 to 4-inch rounds; cover. Let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Bake at 400°F for 13 to 17 minutes or until done. Remove from baking sheet; let cool on wire rack.
- Optional toppings: Before placing rolls in oven, brush with a mixture of 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water. Sprinkle with sesame Sseds, poppy seeds, or minced onions.