- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Traditional Yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°F)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, melted
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a small bowl. Let rest 5 minutes. Heat milk and butter until warm (100° to 110°F). Combine yeast, milk mixture, whole wheat flour, sugar and salt in a large mixer bowl. Beat on medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add enough all-purpose flour until soft dough forms. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic (about 4 to 6 minutes). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place about 1-1/2 hours, until doubled.
- Generously grease a fluted tube pan with shortening. Punch dough down and divide in half. Form 24 small balls of dough from each half. Mix together sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. Dip balls in melted butter and roll in sugar and nut mixture; place in pan. Combine leftover butter and sugar mixture and pour over dough.
- Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Immediately invert pan onto plate and allow to rest 1 minute before removing pan. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.